UPDATED: Gov Bago Receives 100 Abducted Niger State Schoolchildren After Release
Updated December 8, 2025
The number of abducted students and staff from St. Mary’s Catholic Private Primary and Secondary School, Papiri, Agwarra Local Government Area of Niger State, has dropped from 265 to 165, following the release of 100 pupils by their captors on Sunday.
Governor Bago Receives Rescued Pupils
At about 5:20pm on Monday, the freed children arrived at the Niger State Government House in separate buses, where they were received by Governor Umaru Bago and other top government officials.
The pupils were formally handed over to the state government by the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA). The National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, was represented by Wing Commander Abdullahi Dare.
While presenting the children, Dare said security agencies had worked tirelessly since the abduction to secure the students’ safe return. He reaffirmed the Federal Government’s commitment to safeguarding the rights and safety of every Nigerian child.
Governor Bago: “A Significant Milestone”
Governor Bago expressed gratitude to President Bola Tinubu and NSA Nuhu Ribadu for their swift and coordinated response, which resulted in the release of the 100 pupils.
He assured parents that efforts were ongoing to secure the release of the remaining 165 individuals still in captivity.
“This moment marks a significant milestone in the history of our state,” he said, noting that he was deeply moved by the ages and number of the rescued children.
Bago directed medical personnel to conduct comprehensive physical and psychological assessments on all the freed pupils. He also revealed that the state government was partnering with the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), UNICEF, and other stakeholders to strengthen child protection systems and ensure the safe return of all abducted students.
FG Secured Their Release on Sunday
Earlier on Monday, CAN stated that it had not yet received official notification regarding the children’s release. Its state chairman, Bishop Bulus Yohanna, said:
“It will be a thing of joy if some of our children have been released. We have been praying and waiting for their return. If this is true, it is cheering news. However, we have not been officially informed.”
How the Abductions Happened
On 21 November 2025, armed bandits attacked St. Mary’s Catholic Private School in Papiri, abducting 315 people—303 students and 12 teachers.
Within the first 24 hours, 50 pupils escaped, leaving 265 people, including 253 children, in captivity until Sunday’s release of 100 pupils.
The attack drew national and international condemnation, including from Pope Leo XIV, who expressed concern and solidarity with the affected families.
Government Response
The Federal Government responded by:
-
Imposing a 24-hour security cordon
-
Launching aerial surveillance across parts of Kwara, Kebbi, and Niger States
-
Ordering the indefinite closure of schools across Niger State and several federal institutions in high-risk zones
-
President Bola Tinubu cancelling planned international travel to focus on the crisis
Last week, NSA Nuhu Ribadu visited Papiri, assuring school authorities and parents that the children would be returned safely.
“God is with them and God is with us. Evil will never win. They are going to come back. I give you that assurance,” Ribadu said during his visit to the Catholic Bishop of Kontagora Diocese, Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, and families of the abducted children.