• info@bstefoundation.org
  • 07030201998, 08037354491

UK Court Hears Evidence Naming Tinubu, Osinbajo, Aluko, Kachikwu In Diezani Alison-Madueke Corruption Trial

UK Court Hears Evidence Naming Tinubu, Osinbajo, Aluko, Kachikwu In Diezani Alison-Madueke Corruption Trial

January 30, 2026 

Prosecutors on Thursday presented what they described as an extensive body of documentary and digital evidence at the resumed UK corruption trial of former Nigerian Minister of Petroleum Resources, Diezani Alison-Madueke, at Southwark Crown Court in London.

The prosecution told the court that the materials tendered included transcripts of audio recordings, WhatsApp messages, emails and other correspondence allegedly recovered during searches carried out by the UK’s National Crime Agency and the Metropolitan Police at properties linked to Alison-Madueke.

While outlining the contents of the seized materials, prosecutors stressed that the allegations arising from them form part of the prosecution’s case and remain subject to judicial determination.

Among the issues referenced in open court were claims attributed to oil executive Olatimbo Ayinde, suggesting that individuals connected to businessman Kola Aluko benefited from their close association with him. Ayinde is known to be an ally of Nigeria’s President, Bola Tinubu.

The court also heard about an alleged bitter dispute between Ayinde and businessman Femi Otedola, including reference to a letter reportedly written to former President Muhammadu Buhari in which concerns about threats to her safety were raised.

Prosecutors further alleged that politician and businessman Dumebi Kachikwu acted as an intermediary in certain financial transactions linked to his brother, Ibe Kachikwu, a former Minister of State for Petroleum Resources and former Group Managing Director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC).

According to the prosecution, the evidence includes claims of significant financial transfers, luxury spending — including the alleged purchase of an expensive watch from Harrods — and payments said to have covered medical expenses. It was also stated that correspondence written by lawyer and current Minister of Aviation and Aerospace Development, Festus Keyamo, in his role as legal counsel, described some of the payments as relating to land transactions.

In addition, prosecutors referred to materials said to contain telephone communications involving President Bola Tinubu and former Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, as well as records of meetings involving Osinbajo’s former chief of staff, Adeola Ipaye, portions of which were reportedly transcribed.

The prosecution emphasised that all the materials cited were being tendered as evidence in support of the charges before the court.

The trial is ongoing, with the defence expected to respond as proceedings continue.

Alison-Madueke, a former President of the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), is facing five counts of accepting bribes and one count of conspiracy to commit bribery. She has pleaded not guilty to all charges.

Jurors had earlier been told that the former minister lived an extravagant lifestyle in the UK, including using a personal shopper service at Harrods reserved for top-tier customers. Prosecutors allege that more than £2 million was spent on her behalf at the luxury store, with purchases allegedly made using cards linked to Nigerian oil magnate Kolawole Aluko and his company, Tenka Limited.

The court also heard that about £4.6 million was allegedly spent refurbishing properties in London and Buckinghamshire connected to her use.

Aluko, who was named in the Panama Papers, had previously been investigated over allegations that he helped move millions of dollars out of Nigeria as kickbacks to Alison-Madueke while holding and seeking oil contracts with state-owned entities.

On Thursday, Alison-Madueke was seen leaving the court without the walking stick she had used during earlier appearances, accompanied by a driver or bodyguard as she entered a waiting BMW. She was also observed walking unaided on Wednesday, in contrast to Monday and Tuesday when she arrived with a walking stick.

Earlier in the week, prosecutors told the court that Alison-Madueke allegedly accepted £100,000 in cash while in office, alongside other benefits. Prosecutor Alexandra Healy said the former minister received cash payments, private jet flights, chauffeur-driven cars and luxury items from companies and individuals seeking oil and gas contracts in Nigeria.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *