Trump threatens to launch attacks in Nigeria over ‘killing of Christians’
Trump Threatens Military Action in Nigeria Over Alleged Killings of Christians
Nigerian Government Refutes U.S. President’s Claims, Says Allegations Are False and Inflammatory
United States President Donald Trump has issued a threat to launch military strikes in Nigeria, citing alleged “anti-Christian violence” and accusing the Nigerian government of failing to stop what he called “horrible atrocities.”
In a post on social media on Saturday, Trump said he had instructed the newly renamed Department of War to “prepare for possible action,” warning that U.S. aid to Nigeria would be cut off if the government “continues to allow the killing of Christians.”
“We may very well go into that now disgraced country, guns-a-blazing, to completely wipe out the Islamic terrorists committing these atrocities,” Trump wrote, without naming specific groups or incidents.
“If we attack, it will be fast, vicious, and sweet—just like the terrorist thugs attack our cherished Christians! WARNING: THE NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT BETTER MOVE FAST!”
The Nigerian government has denied the claims and dismissed the threats as “misguided and dangerous.”
Trump’s remarks followed his administration’s decision to add Nigeria to the U.S. “Countries of Particular Concern” list—a designation for nations accused of religious persecution. The move came amid growing rhetoric among U.S. right-wing politicians and commentators alleging a “Christian genocide” in Nigeria.
However, human rights experts and conflict analysts have rejected such claims, calling them “false and oversimplified.”
“There is no evidence of a Christian genocide in Nigeria,” said Bulama Bukarti, a Nigerian lawyer and security analyst. “This narrative has long been pushed by far-right groups, and President Trump is amplifying it. It’s divisive and risks worsening instability.”
Bukarti explained that violent groups in Nigeria, including Boko Haram and bandits, have targeted both Muslims and Christians, attacking markets, churches, mosques, and other civilian areas indiscriminately.
Ebenezer Obadare, a senior fellow for Africa Studies at the Council on Foreign Relations, also urged caution, emphasizing that cooperation, not confrontation, was needed.
“This is a time for partnership,” Obadare said. “The wrong step would be to invade Nigeria and undermine its sovereignty. That would only deepen the crisis.”
Earlier on Saturday, Nigerian President Bola Ahmed Tinubu released a statement defending his government’s record on religious freedom and national security.
“Nigeria is a country with constitutional guarantees protecting all faiths,” Tinubu said. “We continue to address security challenges affecting citizens across all regions and religions. The portrayal of Nigeria as religiously intolerant does not reflect our national reality.”
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs also reaffirmed Nigeria’s commitment to protecting all citizens.
“Like America, Nigeria celebrates diversity as our greatest strength,” said ministry spokesperson Kimiebi Ebienfa. “The Federal Government will continue to defend every Nigerian, regardless of race, creed, or religion.”
Despite reassurances from Abuja, Trump’s remarks have sparked widespread concern that U.S.–Nigeria relations could deteriorate further, especially if Washington pursues military action based on disputed claims.