Strike Looms: ASUU Accuses FG Of Withholding ₦50bn, Calls For Education Minister Alausa’s Sack
ASUU Threatens Fresh Strike in Two Weeks, Accuses FG of Withholding ₦50bn Revitalisation Fund, Demands Sack of Education Minister
The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has threatened to embark on a fresh strike in two weeks, accusing the Federal Government of failing to meet its outstanding obligations to the union.
In a statement issued on Wednesday, the Chairman of ASUU, University of Jos (UNIJOS) chapter, Prof. Jurbe Joseph Molwus, said the union may have no choice but to resume its suspended strike if the Federal Government fails to address its demands within the next two weeks.
Prof. Molwus described as “unfortunate and disappointing” the Federal Government’s failure to release the ₦50 billion revitalisation fund it claimed had been disbursed weeks ago, noting that no university has received any allocation so far. He questioned why the Minister of Education, Dr. Tunji Maruf Alausa, is allegedly withholding the funds.
According to the ASUU chairman, universities have also yet to receive the ₦2.3 billion the government reportedly released to clear salary and promotion arrears across federal institutions, describing the amount as “grossly inadequate, almost embarrassing, and insulting.”
“Distinguished compatriots of the press, recall that on October 22, 2025, our union gave the Federal Government four weeks to address its demands or risk the resumption of the suspended strike,” the statement read.
“Sadly, two weeks have passed with little or no progress.”
ASUU, which is set to hold its National Executive Council (NEC) meeting on November 8–9, 2025, said it had expected that several pending entitlements — including 3.5 months of withheld salaries, 25/35% wage award arrears, promotion arrears, and unpaid salaries — would have been settled by now.
“All we see are press statements from the Honourable Minister of Education. What we need are credit alerts, not misleading releases,” the statement added.
The union further faulted the Education Minister’s recent claim that the government had cleared salary and promotion arrears, calling it “a fiction of his imagination.”
“Can ₦2.3 billion clear the backlog of arrears for all federal universities? Absolutely not. That amount can barely cover three major universities. It is grossly inadequate,” ASUU stated.
The union questioned Dr. Alausa’s competence and accused him of making contradictory statements regarding the government’s agreements with ASUU.
“Weeks ago, the Minister claimed he had met all ASUU’s demands, and yet expressed surprise at our warning strike. He also said there was no agreement with ASUU, only to backtrack later. Could it be that our Honourable Minister has acquired the dog’s habit of returning to its vomit?” the statement queried.
ASUU maintained that genuine engagement — not rhetoric — was needed to resolve the ongoing issues in the education sector.
“As a medical doctor, Dr. Alausa should know that palliatives do not cure diseases. Perhaps he should learn from his counterpart in the Ministry of Health,” the union said.
The statement also questioned the contribution of the Minister of State for Education, noting that as a former university staff member herself, she should be more proactive in addressing the challenges faced by tertiary institutions.
“She is also being owed salaries and arrears. Therefore, her interest aligns with ours. We expect her to guide Dr. Alausa towards making meaningful progress rather than watching him rigmarole,” ASUU added.
The union called on President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to replace the Education Minister with someone “who truly understands the challenges facing Nigeria’s tertiary institutions” if he intends to fulfil his campaign promise of reforming the education sector.
“If the President sincerely wants to make history by resolving the longstanding dispute with university unions, he must appoint a competent Education Minister,” the statement said.
ASUU urged the press, students, parents, and the general public to hold the Federal Government accountable for its promises, warning that the union should not be blamed if it resumes its suspended strike after November 21, 2025, when the four-week ultimatum expires.
“Our strike was only suspended — not called off — as a mark of respect and goodwill in collective bargaining. We expect the government to reciprocate by addressing our demands without further delay. Our members are losing patience as they wait for their legitimate entitlements and a signed agreement with the FGN,” the union concluded.
Solidarity forever.