• info@bstefoundation.org
  • 07030201998, 08037354491

Lagos CP Declared Me Wanted After Officers’ Inability To Execute Egbetokun’s “Shoot On Sight” Order In Oworonshoki – Sowore

Lagos CP Declared Me Wanted After Officers’ Inability To Execute Egbetokun’s “Shoot On Sight” Order In Oworonshoki – Sowore

Sowore Reacts After Lagos Police Declare Him Wanted Over Oworonshoki Protest
 November 3, 2025

Human rights activist and former presidential candidate of the African Action Congress (AAC), Omoyele Sowore, has responded to being declared wanted by the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Moshood Jimoh, over what authorities described as a “public disturbance” related to protests in the Oworonshoki community.

Confirming the development on his social media handles, Sowore said he had made multiple attempts to reach Commissioner Jimoh for clarification but received no response.

“The Lagos Police Commissioner, Moshood Jimoh, has reportedly declared me ‘wanted’ for ‘disturbance of public peace,’ allegedly because his officers failed to execute a ‘shoot-on-sight’ order given by his illegal IGP, Kayode Egbetokun, in Oworonshoki today,” Sowore said.
“Despite my repeated attempts to contact him, he has not taken my calls. Nevertheless, I plan to meet with him soon to address this declaration.”

Background: Oworonshoki Demolition and Protest

Earlier, SaharaReporters had reported that the Lagos Police declared Sowore wanted following a protest against the alleged illegal demolition of houses in Oworonshoki, Lagos. The protest, led by the Take It Back Movement, was attended by displaced residents demanding an end to the demolitions and urgent government intervention.

Eyewitnesses said the demonstration turned chaotic when armed police officers fired teargas canisters at protesters, who were chanting solidarity songs and calling the demolitions “inhuman and illegal.” Videos circulating online showed bulldozers pulling down homes and shops while police personnel stood guard.

Sowore, who recently regained freedom after his detention over the #FreeNnamdiKanuNow protest in Abuja, had vowed to attend the Oworonshoki rally despite warnings from security agencies.

“He [Commissioner Jimoh] had threatened me last week not to come to Lagos for the protest,” Sowore stated, “but I made it clear that I would be in Oworonshoki today—and I was.”

According to sources, Sowore narrowly escaped the scene after suspecting that there were orders to harm him, allegedly issued by the Inspector General of Police.

Police Crackdown and Public Reaction

Witnesses told SaharaReporters that police operatives began using heavy teargas shortly after Sowore’s arrival at the protest ground. Protesters and community leaders were reportedly dispersed, and several were injured in the ensuing chaos.

Despite the police aggression, Sowore later took to Facebook Live to condemn what he described as state-sponsored oppression and impunity.

“This is why Nigeria is in a mess,” he said during the broadcast. “Our leaders use the police against citizens instead of protecting them. That’s why outsiders like U.S. President Donald Trump think they can come here to save us.”

Ongoing Tensions

The declaration of Sowore as “wanted” has sparked outrage among civil society groups and activists, who have accused the police of silencing dissent and protecting corrupt interests behind the Oworonshoki demolitions.

As of press time, the Lagos State Police Command had not issued an official statement detailing the charges or the circumstances leading to the declaration. Sowore, however, insists he remains committed to peaceful advocacy and plans to meet the police to resolve the issue “face to face.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *