• info@bstefoundation.org
  • 07030201998, 08037354491

Groups decry alleged forced eviction of Makoko community

Groups decry alleged forced eviction of Makoko community

Two non-governmental organisations have condemned the ongoing demolition and eviction exercise in Makoko, an impoverished waterfront community in Lagos, describing it as a cruel and inhumane New Year action against the urban poor.

The Health of Mother Earth Foundation (HOMEF) and the Centre for Children’s Health Education, Orientation and Protection (CEE-HOPE), in a joint statement, criticised the Lagos State Government over what they described as gross human rights violations arising from the forced eviction in the predominantly fishing community.

According to the organisations, houses are being set ablaze with residents’ belongings still inside, forcing community members — including children, women and the elderly — to flee in chaos.

Community sources said the operation began without prior notice on January 5, when government agents reportedly moved bulldozers into the waterfront settlement and began burning homes.

“We had earlier met with government representatives who assured us that only houses within 30 metres of the high-tension corridor would be affected,” a community insider said. “We were shocked when they came and started setting fire on other houses. They arrived around 8am, began shooting, spraying tear gas and seizing people’s boats.”

The source added that the demolition had extended deep into the community, with homes reportedly destroyed up to 100 metres from the corridor.

“Many residents were away fishing, at the market or travelling for the holidays when their houses and properties were set on fire,” the source said. “While our chiefs were summoned to the Government House to complain about the bulldozers, the demolition squad moved in and started the destruction. This is unimaginable. They are determined to drive us away by all means.”

HOMEF and CEE-HOPE described the eviction as unlawful, condemnable and another attack on poor and vulnerable residents.

“It is deeply disturbing that instead of protecting citizens, the government and its agents are worsening suffering, deprivation and insecurity,” said Dr Nnimmo Bassey, Executive Director of HOMEF. “The assault on Makoko is reprehensible and unacceptable.”

He added that the Lagos State Government must respect the human and housing rights of Makoko residents and end what he described as the dehumanisation of the urban poor, allegedly carried out in collaboration with private developers.

CEE-HOPE Executive Director Betty Abah also criticised the government’s actions, describing them as consistently unlawful in dealings with low-income communities.

“After the brutal demolitions in Oko-Baba, Ayetoro, Otumara, Baba Ijora and the recent mass eviction in Oworonshoki, which displaced tens of thousands of poor Lagosians, the government has again turned its focus on Makoko,” she said. “This community previously suffered demolition in 2012, during which a local chief was killed.”

Abah questioned why the state continues to carry out forced evictions despite Lagos’ severe housing deficit.

“Why is the government not providing affordable or social housing instead of repeatedly making headlines for violent evictions?” she asked. “Why are these actions carried out without proper notice, resettlement or compensation, and often in violation of court orders?”

She further lamented the impact on children, noting that thousands are often forced out of school following such demolitions.

“These repeated attacks on people to whom the government owes a duty of care are lawless, unwarranted and reprehensible,” Abah said. “They fall short of both international and local standards. They must stop immediately, with urgent medical attention and compensation provided to all displaced residents. Lagos should be upgrading informal settlements in line with global best practice — not destroying lives.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *