• info@bstefoundation.org
  • 07030201998, 08037354491

Genocide: Approach Nigeria’s Situation With Understanding, FG Tells Trump

Genocide: Approach Nigeria’s Situation With Understanding, FG Tells Trump

Genocide Allegation: FG Urges Trump to Approach Nigeria’s Situation with Understanding
Updated November 5, 2025

The Federal Government has appealed to the President of the United States, Donald Trump, to show understanding and restraint in addressing Nigeria’s internal security challenges.

Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris, made the appeal during a press briefing on Wednesday in Abuja, following Trump’s recent threat of possible U.S. military action against Nigeria over what he described as the “mass slaughter” of Christians.

“We call on our American friends and partners to approach the Nigerian situation with an understanding of its complex realities. Nigeria is a vast, multi-ethnic, multi-religious nation making significant strides in economic reforms and in strengthening its security architecture,” Idris said.

“We believe constructive engagement is the most effective way to achieve peace and stability — not just in Nigeria but anywhere in the world. Nigeria welcomes dialogue, cooperation, and support from our international partners, including the United States.”

‘Winning the War’

The minister reaffirmed the Tinubu administration’s commitment to combating terrorism, banditry, kidnapping, and other violent crimes nationwide, insisting that the government is winning the war against insecurity.

He cited data from the Global Terrorism Index, which reported earlier this year that terrorist attacks in Nigeria had dropped to their lowest level in over a decade.

“In the last eight months, the Nigerian military has neutralised over 592 terrorists in Borno State alone, freed more than 11,200 hostages, and accepted the surrender of 124 insurgents who handed over 11,000 weapons,” he said.

According to Idris, the government has invested millions of dollars in modern equipment for security agencies, while President Bola Tinubu has significantly increased budgetary allocations for the military to boost morale and efficiency.

The minister also noted that military operations in the North-West have led to major breakthroughs, including the neutralisation of notorious bandit leaders such as Ali Kachalla, Boderi, and Halilu Sububu, and the rescue of over 11,000 hostages.

“Only in August, the military intercepted and killed more than 400 armed bandits during a planned attack in Zamfara State,” Idris added.

Trump’s Remarks

Last Friday, President Donald Trump alleged that Christians in Nigeria were victims of a “mass slaughter,” calling it an “existential threat” to Christianity.

“Thousands of Christians are being killed. Radical Islamists are responsible for this mass slaughter,” Trump wrote, adding that the U.S. “cannot stand by while such atrocities are happening.”

He directed Congressman Riley Moore and House Appropriations Chairman Tom Cole to investigate the matter, declaring Nigeria a “country of particular concern.”

“When Christians, or any such group, are slaughtered like what is happening in Nigeria, something must be done. The United States stands ready, willing, and able to save our great Christian population around the world,” Trump stated.

The Nigerian government, however, maintains that while security challenges persist, it remains fully committed to protecting all citizens regardless of religion or ethnicity and continues to strengthen collaboration with international partners to achieve lasting peace.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *