Fresh revelations emerge over Kaiama, Kwara killings that left 75 dead
5 February, 2026 | Kwara State
Fresh details have emerged following Tuesday’s deadly attack on Woro and Nuku communities in Kaiama Local Government Area of Kwara State, where suspected terrorists carried out coordinated assaults that left dozens of residents dead and several others missing.
A relative of the traditional ruler of Woro, Mr Ali Umar, told the News Agency of Nigeria that the attackers arrived shortly after 5pm on motorcycles and strategically surrounded the community.
“They came around 5pm and completely surrounded the community. They started shooting from all directions so nobody could escape,” he said.
The sudden attack triggered panic, forcing residents to flee and leaving the once-busy community largely deserted. Umar confirmed that five members of the traditional ruler’s household remain missing, including the ruler’s wife, Hauwa Umar, his mother, and three children.
“The chief’s wife, his mother and three of his children are missing. That makes five people from his household unaccounted for,” he said.
Residents have appealed for urgent reinforcement of security in the area to prevent further attacks and enable displaced families to return home.
“What we need now is increased security presence to restore confidence and allow people to return,” Umar added.
He disclosed that there had been prior intelligence warnings about a possible attack, which were reportedly shared with relevant authorities. Soldiers had also carried out patrols earlier that day, initially giving residents hope that the threat had been neutralised.
Similar attacks were also reported in neighbouring Nuku community.
Kwara State Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, who visited Kaiama with senior security officials and cabinet members, confirmed that at least 75 residents were killed after reportedly refusing to comply with extremist demands.
The governor announced that President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has approved the immediate deployment of an army battalion to the area under a new security operation codenamed Operation Savannah Shield.
According to him, injured victims are receiving treatment at the General Hospital, while those with severe injuries have been referred to the Teaching Hospital.
AbdulRazaq condemned the attacks, describing them as a desperate response by terrorist groups under pressure from ongoing military operations. He extended his condolences to the affected families and the people of Woro and Nuku.
The Speaker of the Kwara State House of Assembly, Yakubu Danladi-Salihu, also condemned the killings and called for expanded military operations, particularly around border communities linked to criminal activities.
“I commiserate with the Emir of Kaiama and the families of the victims of this horrific attack. I call for intensified military action against the perpetrators and urge communities to cooperate fully with security agencies to bring these killings to an end,” he said.
The Speaker further advised residents to remain vigilant, warning that criminal elements may attempt to relocate as security pressure increases across the state. He reaffirmed the Assembly’s commitment to supporting all efforts aimed at safeguarding lives and property throughout Kwara State.