Father Of Three Abducted Pupils In Niger State Dies Of Heart Attack
November 26, 2025
News
A parent of some of the schoolchildren abducted from St. Mary’s Private Catholic Primary and Secondary Schools in Papiri, Niger State, has died of a heart attack.
The development was confirmed by Rev. John Hayab, Chairman of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Northern Region and the Federal Capital Territory. Speaking on Channels TV on Tuesday, Hayab identified the deceased as Mr. Anthony, whose three children were among those kidnapped.
“One of the parents of the abducted children died yesterday of a heart attack,” he said. “Mr. Anthony died following the abduction of his three children. People don’t understand that when you state the facts, you’re not speaking against anybody—you’re simply highlighting the problem. The pain and trauma remain very fresh. We tried to speak with the parents today, but many were too scared to talk.”
Earlier, SaharaReporters revealed that 50 pupils abducted during last week’s attack had escaped and been reunited with their families. The school authorities confirmed their return on Sunday. The escape occurred between Friday and Saturday, though the pupils were unable to return to the school immediately after fleeing.
The school administration verified their safe return by contacting and visiting the parents of the rescued children.
In a statement, Most Rev. Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, Chairman of CAN, Niger State chapter; Proprietor of the school; and Catholic Bishop of Kontagora Diocese, welcomed the development but appealed for continued prayers for those still in captivity.
“As much as we receive the return of these 50 children with some sigh of relief, I urge you all to continue praying for the rescue and safe return of the remaining victims,” he said.
The update, signed electronically by Daniel Atori, Media Aide to Bishop Yohanna, clarified the number of persons still being held.
“For the records, we now have 251 primary pupils, 14 secondary students, and 12 teachers still with their abductors,” the statement noted.
Providing further breakdown, the school disclosed:
-
Of the 430 pupils enrolled in the primary section, 377 are boarders while 53 are day students.
-
Aside from the 50 pupils who escaped, 141 pupils were not taken during the attack.
-
Currently, 236 pupils, three children belonging to staff, 14 secondary students, and 12 staff members — a total of 253 persons — remain in captivity.