• info@bstefoundation.org
  • 07030201998, 08037354491

EXCLUSIVE: Nigerian Soldiers In North-East Demand End To “Repentant Terrorist” Integration, Link Deadly Attacks To Leaks

EXCLUSIVE: Nigerian Soldiers In North-East Demand End To “Repentant Terrorist” Integration, Link Deadly Attacks To Leaks

January 13, 2026

Soldiers Renew Call to Halt Integration of ‘Repentant’ Boko Haram Fighters

Nigerian troops engaged in counter-insurgency operations against Boko Haram in the North-East have renewed calls on military authorities and all levels of government to suspend the integration of so-called repentant insurgents into security structures, warning that the policy is endangering lives and compromising operations.

A military source who spoke with SaharaReporters said frontline soldiers have launched a fresh appeal to their commanders, alleging that the continued absorption of former Boko Haram members has led to insider leaks and deadly attacks on troops.

According to the source, trust has completely broken down between soldiers and the former insurgents now attached to military camps.

“In our camps now, we don’t trust these former Boko Haram members,” the soldier said. “We have started distancing ourselves from them. They even sleep in separate areas.”

The source alleged that sensitive operational details are being leaked to Boko Haram fighters, leading to ambushes and coordinated attacks.

“We recently discovered that our movements and operations are being leaked to Boko Haram. Nobody else could be doing this apart from these so-called repentant terrorists,” the soldier said. “They are selling us out, and that is why we are appealing to top commanders to stop forcing us to work with them.”

The soldier further claimed that several recent attacks on military formations were directly linked to leaked intelligence.

“Most of the recent attacks, including those recently reported, happened because these repentant terrorists leaked our strategies to Boko Haram,” the source added.

Last week, SaharaReporters reported that at least nine Nigerian soldiers were killed after their vehicle ran into an improvised explosive device (IED) near Gubio in Borno State. A senior military source confirmed that investigations showed the explosives were planted by Boko Haram insurgents.

According to the source, the soldiers were travelling from Maiduguri when the incident occurred.

“While returning from Maiduguri on Saturday, they stopped at a camp along the road with plans to continue their journey on Sunday,” the source explained.

Previous Warnings Ignored

Concerns over the integration of former insurgents are not new. In October 2025, soldiers deployed across several bases in the North-East accused government-backed repentant Boko Haram fighters of leaking classified military information to their former commanders.

At the time, serving personnel described the policy as a “deadly mistake” that continued to cost soldiers their lives. One soldier told SaharaReporters that repentant fighters routinely relayed critical details about troop movements and camp routines ahead of Boko Haram attacks.

“Before Boko Haram attacks any military camp, they already know how we operate. These repentant fighters tell them everything,” the soldier said in a 2025 interview.

He alleged that the leaks included details about troop strength, weaponry, daily routines and security layouts.

“They tell them how many soldiers are on duty at the gate, the weapons we carry, and even our daily routine. They know about ‘stand 2’, when all soldiers must return to camp between 4:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. to observe enemy movement,” the source said.

The soldier further alleged that Boko Haram fighters were informed about the location of armouries and weapons, including rifles, GMPGs, RPGs, PKTs, grenades and explosives.

According to him, the sabotage also extended to logistics.

“They tell them where our food stores are so that when Boko Haram attacks, they can loot our supplies and starve us. Since food is loaded monthly, they even know exactly when supplies arrive,” he said.

The source insisted that without insider information from repentant fighters, many Boko Haram attacks would have failed.

“If they don’t get this information, they may not succeed or even come back alive. But once they know our strength and routine, they strike with precision,” he said.

The renewed allegations highlight growing tension within the Nigerian Army, as soldiers warn of what they describe as a dangerous alliance between active troops and former insurgents operating under the guise of repentance.

Source: Sahara Reporter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *