• info@bstefoundation.org
  • 07030201998, 08037354491

EXCLUSIVE: DSS Rearrests Malami’s Son At Kuje Prison After Attempt To Sneak Him Out Amid Former AGF’s Refusal To Leave

EXCLUSIVE: DSS Rearrests Malami’s Son At Kuje Prison After Attempt To Sneak Him Out Amid Former AGF’s Refusal To Leave

DSS Rearrests Malami’s Son at Kuje Prison After Attempted Quiet Release

January 18, 2026

Operatives of the Department of State Services (DSS) have rearrested Abdulaziz Malami, son of former Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, at the Kuje Correctional Centre in Abuja, following what security sources described as irregular attempts to secure his release.

The rearrest occurred on Friday after bailiffs from the Federal High Court arrived at the prison with fully processed bail documents for Abdulaziz. Sources said the release was stalled when Malami allegedly insisted that his son be removed discreetly from the facility, without following standard procedures.

Security officials had already placed the correctional centre under heightened surveillance after receiving intelligence suggesting plans to move Abdulaziz out of the prison away from public scrutiny. DSS operatives were said to be monitoring all movements in and out of the facility, profiling vehicles leaving the premises.

Shortly after Abdulaziz was handed over to those facilitating his release, DSS operatives intercepted the vehicle and rearrested him.

“This happened on Friday,” a source familiar with the incident said. “Court bailiffs brought fully processed bail papers, but Malami refused to leave in the usual manner and wanted his son sneaked out. DSS officers profiling vehicles leaving the prison intercepted and rearrested him.”

Another security source said the action reflects growing concern within the intelligence community over what it described as “irregular efforts” surrounding the former attorney-general’s approach to his son’s release.

In late December, SaharaReporters had reported that Abdulaziz, who was remanded at Kuje alongside his father and his father’s wife, Hajia Bashir Asabe, was rushed to the prison clinic after suddenly falling ill. He was admitted for observation on December 30, according to prison sources.

Abdulaziz, Malami and Asabe are currently standing trial before Justice Emeka Nwite of the Federal High Court in Maitama, Abuja, following their arraignment by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

The EFCC filed a 16-count charge against the defendants, accusing them of conspiracy, procuring, concealing, disguising and laundering proceeds of unlawful activities amounting to ₦8.71 billion, in violation of the Money Laundering (Prevention and Prohibition) Act, 2022. All three pleaded not guilty.

According to court documents, the anti-graft agency alleges that Malami used fronts and corporate entities, including Metropolitan Auto Tech Ltd and Meethaq Hotels Ltd, to launder public funds while in office.

One charge alleges that Malami and his son procured over ₦1.01 billion through Metropolitan Auto Tech Ltd between July 2022 and June 2025 to conceal the origin of funds held in a Sterling Bank account. Another alleges that ₦600 million of suspicious funds was used as collateral to secure a loan for Rayhaan Hotels Ltd.

The EFCC further accuses the defendants of using property companies and Bureau De Change operators to disguise payments for luxury properties in Abuja, Kano and Birnin Kebbi, including high-value properties in Maitama, Jabi, Asokoro, Gwarimpa and Garki.

In its proof of evidence, the EFCC listed investigators, bankers and Bureau De Change operators as witnesses, stating that petitions and intelligence reports triggered what it described as a probe into “monumental corruption” linked to the former minister.

Despite the allegations, Malami and his co-defendants maintain their innocence, insisting the funds were lawfully acquired.

Earlier this month, SaharaReporters reported that Kuje Correctional Centre had been placed under tight security, with more than 50 DSS operatives deployed to strategic locations around the facility. The move was described as a precautionary measure to prevent interference with ongoing investigations, including allegations linked to terrorism financing, following Malami’s grant of bail in the money laundering case.

Source: SaharaReporter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *