• info@bstefoundation.org
  • 07030201998, 08037354491

Council Chairman Says Terrorists Fleeing From US Airstrikes In Sokoto Now In Benue

Council Chairman Says Terrorists Fleeing From US Airstrikes In Sokoto Now In Benue

January 9, 2026 

The Chairman of Agatu Local Government Council in Benue State, James Melvin Ejeh, has raised the alarm over renewed violent attacks on rural communities, warning that displaced armed groups are now infiltrating the area following recent counterterrorism operations.

The concern comes amid reports that terrorists dislodged by coordinated United States and Nigerian military airstrikes in Sokoto State have begun relocating across state borders. The airstrikes, carried out in December, reportedly targeted locations where the fighters were planning attacks. Since then, intelligence and local accounts have indicated a dispersal of the armed elements into neighbouring states.

Ejeh said Agatu communities are bearing the brunt of the spillover, with lives and livelihoods increasingly under threat.

“Agatu Local Government Area is presently experiencing a renewed wave of violent attacks, which we firmly believe is a fallout of recent military airstrikes in the Sokoto axis,” he said, according to Daily Trust.

“These armed elements, fleeing from neighbouring areas, have reportedly infiltrated Agatu communities and unleashed unprecedented terror on innocent and defenceless residents.”

In response to the deteriorating security situation, the council chairman announced decisive measures, including the immediate revocation of a long-standing grazing arrangement that had allowed herdsmen access to Adepati Island since 2017.

“In view of the persistent violations and escalating violence, I hereby announce the immediate revocation of the 2017 agreement that granted herdsmen access to Adepati Island for grazing,” Ejeh declared.

He accused previous local administrations of compromising community safety under the guise of promoting peace.

“That agreement, entered into by the then administration of Agatu Local Government Council, was never carried out in good faith. It was done under the pretext of promoting peaceful coexistence, but at the expense of the Agatu people,” he said.

Ejeh stressed that the security implications of the arrangement had become unacceptable, describing its consequences as severe.

“The negative consequences of that action have been enormous. Consequently, I hereby declare the agreement null and void and of no effect whatsoever,” he said.

He further ordered all armed herders to vacate Agatu land immediately, insisting that no portion of Agatu territory belongs to herders under any circumstance.

“Furthermore, all armed herders are hereby ordered to vacate Agatu land with immediate effect. Let it be clearly stated that no portion of Agatu land belongs to herders under any guise,” he stated.

The council chairman also revealed that security agencies have commenced arrests and investigations, warning that anyone found collaborating with armed groups would face the full weight of the law.

“Security agencies have already arrested some relevant suspects and are currently investigating them. No individual found aiding or abetting insecurity in Agatu will be shielded or granted undue leniency,” Ejeh said.

He concluded by reiterating the position of the Agatu people, noting that any future engagement with herders would only be considered after wide consultations with traditional rulers and key stakeholders, and strictly through lawful and official channels.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *