Burkina Faso Detains 11 Nigerian Military Officers, Seizes Air Force C-130 After ‘Unauthorised’ Airspace Entry
December 9, 2025
News
Burkina Faso’s military government has detained eleven Nigerian military officers and impounded a Nigerian Air Force C-130 Hercules aircraft after it made an emergency landing in Bobo Dioulasso on Monday — an incident now heightening tensions between Abuja and the Sahelian juntas.
The development was announced late Monday by the Alliance of Sahel States (AES) — the confederation formed by Burkina Faso, Mali, and Niger following their withdrawal from ECOWAS.
According to the AES, Burkinabe air-defence units intercepted the Nigerian transport plane after it allegedly entered the country’s airspace without clearance and subsequently made an “in-flight emergency” landing.
“An aircraft belonging to the Air Force of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, a C130 type, was forced to land today, 8 December 2025, in Bobo Dioulasso, Burkina Faso, following an in-flight emergency situation, while it was operating in Burkinabe airspace,” the AES said.
Burkinabe authorities reported that the aircraft was carrying two crew members and nine military passengers, all of whom were arrested immediately after landing.
“The military aircraft had on board two crew members and nine passengers, all military personnel. The individuals were later identified as members of the Nigerian Armed Forces and are currently being detained,” the statement added.
The junta accused Nigeria of violating its airspace and said a full investigation has been opened to determine why the aircraft entered Burkinabe territory without authorisation.
“An investigation… revealed the absence of authorisation for the aircraft to fly over Burkinabe territory. The Confederation of the Sahel States strongly condemns this violation of its airspace and the sovereignty of its member states.”
In a sign of escalating regional friction, the AES announced that air-defence and anti-aircraft systems across Burkina Faso, Mali, and Niger have been placed on maximum alert, warning that any future breach of their airspace could be met with military action.
“Air defense and anti-aircraft systems… have been placed on maximum alert… and have been authorized to neutralize any aircraft that violates the confederal airspace,” the bloc warned.
As of press time, the Nigerian government has not issued an official response regarding the detention of its personnel or the seizure of the aircraft.
The incident adds a new layer of strain to Nigeria’s already troubled relationship with the Sahel coalition, which has repeatedly accused ECOWAS and its member states of “hostile actions” since the military regimes announced their withdrawal from the regional body earlier this year.